Before discussing the pros and cons of implants and dentures, it is important to know what they are.
Dentures are the removable appliances for replacing missing teeth and also some gum tissue. Full or complete dentures replace all teeth in lower or upper jaw or both. Partial dentures fill in gaps if some of natural teeth are still intact.
Dental implants are titanium posts inserted into jaw bone replicating root of natural tooth. An implant post bonds strongly with jawbone to create an anchor used for holding replacement tooth. Implants are used for replacing one of multiple teeth, support bridges, crowns or dentures.
Do I need dental implants or dentures? You can determine the right answer when a dentist Ormond beach examines your teeth. You can also make a decision if you look at benefits of both.
Benefits of Dentures
- Replacement teeth look natural as denture teeth nowadays come in different sizes , shades and shapes. It uses pink acrylic to replicate gum tissue.
- Denture are cheaper especially when replacing many teeth.
- Process to make dentures is non invasive and does not require surgery like it happens with implants.
- Easy to adjust and modify to accommodate loss of additional tooth.
- Well made dentures support lips and cheeks restoring proper height between jaws to prevent the face from having an inward collapsed look.
Benefits of Implants
- Last for many years even lifetime.
- Preserve gum and bone tissue from shrinking reducing loss of more teeth.
- Easy to maintain by simple brushing and flossing.
- Natural look and function is same way to natural teeth unlike bulky feeling dentures.
- Implants hold firm in jawbone hence comfortable than dentures that click when speaking or chewing.
- Protect adjacent natural teeth from moving out of their position as they do not require them to be modified like it is with dentures.
- Makes food taste better as upper palate that has thousands of tastes buds in uncovered
Dentures Versus Implants
Dental implants might be expensive than dentures but are regarded to be better replacement for missing teeth because of they way they will replicate natural tooth roots. It helps in preserving gum and jawbone tissue. Additionally it provides best aesthetics. Dentures can also be hard to wear, need frequent replacements and restrict the types of food you can take.
This does not make dentures useless. Implants are not suitable to everyone. Dentures are good for you if you do not want to undergo dental surgery, clench or grind your teeth. It is also good if you have a medical condition that increases risk of having implant failure such as diabetes. Dentures are also good as a short term option if you currently cannot afford implants.